Read Matthew 2:1-12
Angels appeared to the shepherds in the field to announce the birth of the Messiah. Jesus’ star appeared in the sky to annouce the birth of the Messiah to the wisemen. Both traveled to see Jesus.
Wise men teach us how to celebrate Christmas.
- Made a great effort to see Jesus: They journeyed a great distance to see the Messiah. According to Matthew 2:16, it took the wisemen almost two years to complete their journey. They devoted two years of their lives traveling to see the Messiah. Seeing Jesus is worth the effort it takes.
- Made worship the purpose of the journey – notice what they told Herod in verse 2, “for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.” Christmas is a time to worship the Messiah, the Son of God.
- Gave gifts to the Lord – verse 11.
- Gold – to represent His deity
- Frankincense – to represent His priesthood.
- Myrrh – to represent His suffering
- They traveled back home. I am confident their journey changed their lives because they met the Messiah. You cannot meet Christ without your life being changed.
If you want to have a Merry Christmas, then learn the lessons from the wisemen:
To see Jesus is worth the effort,
Worshipping the Lord should be the goal of Christmas,
Giving to the Lord from a heart filled with joy, peace, and love,
And, telling others how Jesus changed your life when you met Him.
May you have a great Christmas worshipping Jesus Christ, the Messiah, the Son of God!
(Note: I know some will say the wise men were not at the manger and they are correct. They came later, but their journey began on Christmas.)