What is so special about Sunday?
Sunday has changed drastically since I was a child. Everyone in the family knew exactly what was going to happen on Sunday. There was no question. Mother got up early and had breakfast ready for daddy, my sister, brothers, and me. We ate, then got ready for church. Put on our Sunday best clothes and off to Sunday School and morning worship.
We came home for dinner (not lunch – in Georgia; it was breakfast, dinner, and supper). Mother usually had a beef roast with potatoes, peas, and corn from the garden. After lunch, you had to take a nap; it was a requirement, no choice in the matter. When we got a little older, we were allowed to go out into the field and play baseball. The game was “fliers and skinners.” First one to five points got to hit. A grounder was one point, one bounce two points, and flier was three points. If you made an error, you lost all of your points. Our rule was you had get exactly five points; if you went over, back to zero.
At night, we went back to church for the evening worship.
There was only one Sunday I can remember we were allowed to miss church. My grandfather decided to take his grandsons to an airshow in Macon, Georgia.
Today, Sunday is everything but what it use to be. It has become a day to catch everything else you did not get to do last week. I think we have so many demands on our lives, we do not have time for a day to worship, rest, and recover. We have overbooked our lives with more demands than hours. We have overbooked the 168 hours available each week.
Sundays are my favorite day of the week. Being the first day of the week, it sets the tone for my whole week. If I miss church on Sunday, it throws my whole week off.
– Sunday is my favorite day because I set it aside to worship and praise the Lord. I remember the love and grace God gave to me through Jesus Christ. I remember the blessings in my life comes from the Lord. Sunday is a day to worship our Saviour.
– Sunday is my favorite day because I get to fellowship with others I do not get to see during the week. How special to talk, pray, and worship the Lord together! Many in the church do not realize how much a blessing and encouragement their presence is to the pastor.
– Sunday is my favorite day because I learn more about God’s word to prepare me for the week ahead. I get to teach the Bible one of my greatest joys.
– Sunday is my favorite day because I get to rest and recover from the strain of life.
– Sunday is my favorite day because I get to give time back to the Lord who gave His all to me.
Sundays are special to me!
How do you see Sunday? Is it a day to catch-up or a day to worship? For me, it is a day of worship!